Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Careers, Anyone?


Have you ever had a brief moment of panic when the question, "What am I gonna do with my life?" crosses your mind?  Well, a lot of people here are considering transferring schools, and it got me thinking.  There's a really cool liberal arts college called Eugene Lang College in New York City that I was thinking of applying to.  I was also considering George Washington University, which is more in the center of DC.  But before I could even contemplate applying, I had to think about what I want to do with my life.

Being exposed to so many internationally-related ideas here at American really did something to me.  In the past, I've considered being a social worker, a psychologist, and now an employee for the government or a nongovernmental organization that focuses on international development.  Yeah.  Being a social worker or a psychologist is grand and all, but it makes me feel like I would just be a little pinprick on the map - kind of absorbed in my own world.  Internationally-oriented careers make me feel like I'm part of something bigger than myself, like I'm more connected with the people of this earth.

So I know that I'm going to continue studying International Studies.  But I might apply to George Washington University...  

No comments: